This week That Artsy Reader Girl asks what are the Top Ten Books I Can’t Believe I Read
- Otherworld by Jason Segal & Kirsten Miller – I already did a review of this book, and as I said in that I only read this because it was on the readathon list. I did enjoy it but would have never picked it up otherwise. It’s a plot I’ve seen many times before.
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer – I believe this was our first buddy read (buddy read review) and I still have so many issues with this book. I can’t believe I finished it and didn’t just DNF it. Not a fan and I got rid of my copy of the book despite how beautiful it was. I’m still debating if I want to try her other books but probably will down the road.
- The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel – I’m not sure how I obtained this book. I think I won an ARC on Goodreads but I’ve found ARC books at Value Village so that could be this too. I still have mixed feelings on this. It’s just not a book I’d normally pick up. Not a bad thing but it took me months to finish this, normally I’d just DNF if it takes that long.
- Evicted by Matthew Demond – So this one I had mixed feelings on (review) but decided that I loved it because it challenged how I thought about things. I still feel like there were issues but it’s a nonfiction book I think many would enjoy with how it’s written. I’m mainly surprised I picked it up because I’d just started a job that had me dealing with low income housing and sometimes bringing work into reading can be exhausting.
- My real estate textbooks – This is a bit of a cheat but I never read my textbooks cover to cover in school, or much at all to be honest, however these textbooks I read every freaking page just in fear I’d miss something on the exam.
- The Wideacre Trilogy by Philippa Gregory – I have ranted on this book before but it deserves a second rant! I still can’t believe I wasted that much time hoping this stupid series would get better… It doesn’t. Don’t even start it unless you just love reading horrible trash.
- Something by The Marquis de Sade – I think it was Justine, but I only read a few pages. It may have just been the translation was iffy but this was the dumbest thing ever. My university’s library had two of his books and I grabbed one out of curiosity. Yep, it would really help to remember that curiosity killed the Neko…
- The Golden Ass by Apuleius – This is another one I ranted on in the past… Its bestiality! Plain and simple. I had to read it for an ancient literature class… Why… I can’t even… Let’s just say I didn’t find it entertaining or unique… Just wrong.
And that’s pretty much it! I don’t read books that make me uncomfortable or that I hate, I just put them down.
So what books are you guys shocked that you read? Tell us in the comments! We love to hear from you!