How are my wordophiles doing today? And yes that is a word. It is now at least ^_^
Today is a bit of a different post for us here at Books,Boxes,andBaubles! We have found a bunch of words we don’t know or thought were interesting and figured we would share them all with you guys. People who build vocabularies together stay together after all…
(of a victory) won at too great a cost to have been worthwhile for the victor.
- reveal the presence of (a quality or feeling). “his letters evince the excitement he felt at undertaking this journey”
- be evidence of; indicate.
either of a pair of appendages in front of the mouth in arachnids and some other arthropods, usually modified as pincerlike claws.
- noisy and difficult to control.
|synonyms:||unruly, unmanageable, disorderly, undisciplined, uncontrollable, rowdy, disruptive, truculent, difficult, refractory, rebellious, mutinous, riotous, out of control, wild, turbulent, uproarious, boisterous;|
- relating to or characterized by reversion to something ancient or ancestral.
- (of a person) giving their name to something. “the eponymous hero of the novel”
- (of a thing) named after a particular person.
“Roseanne’s eponymous hit TV series”
Quicquidlibet (Noun) (This one confuses me, I guess it means anything it pleases or whatever it pleases)
Pronounced as /quick’ki’d. • lee’bet/ and consists of the classical Latin word ‘quicquid libet, quodlibet’ or ‘quicquid, quidquid’ for ‘whatever,’ which can also be a reduplication of ‘quid’ for ‘anything’ and ‘libet’ for ‘it pleases.’
- not able to be refuted or disproved; indisputable
- enliven or animate.
1.an assembly of all the members of a group or committee.
2.PHYSICSa space completely filled with matter, or the whole of space so regarded.
- treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
|synonyms:||flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous;|
- prevent or hinder the progress of.
So what new and exciting words have you guys run across recently?